Monday, June 15, 2015

California, Camping, and much more!

On May 27, 2015 I left to Sonoma, California to spend a week with my dad... now, before you start feeling bad for Craig because his wife left him for a whole week, you should know that before we got married he planned a camping trip with our good friend, Forrest, for that week and I wasn't going to be left home! :) 
The day I flew out we went to Rumbi for lunch... it was all fun and games until it came time for him to drop me off...

 I was at the airport about to board the plane when I checked my phone... you could say that Craig missed me, hahaha


 My dad got me moved to first class!! You don't enjoy these mini water bottles sitting in coach!! 

 And he fell asleep before we even took off! Haha!


I didn't know some people found flying so stressfull... but apparently the airport thought it would be appropriate to have a yoga room... 


This was our rental car! 

Ok, funny story. We got to our hotel and it was in this little town in the middle of no where... we were starving to death so my dad pulled up his restaurant app... well all of the local places to eat didn't seem very good when we suddenly came across the cheese cake factory!! We jumped in the car, followed the map, only to arrive at the cheese factory.... not the cheese cake factory. Joke on us. Fortunately we ended up trying out a local place that had really good BBQ! 




Craig and I skyped every night, this is how his hair looked when we skyped the first time, hahaha! He informed me that all he ate that day was pizza bagel bites... I don't know how he'd survive with out me. ;)

We went running together everyday and always had a little devotional afterwards! I just love traveling with my dad.

 I was able to sit in some of his classes and hear him teach, wow!


 Our whole trip we ate REALLY good food! We were at a michelin restaurant when we took this picture.

 My dad didn't spend more than 5 minutes out in the sun and yet he still got tanner than me...... :(


 We checked out of our hotel on Thrudsay night in Sonoma and drove to San Fancisco because we were going to spend all day Friday there. We made a stop at the Golden Gate bridge.


 That night my dad took me to a Giants VS. Braves game and we got awesome seats!
(the giants won 7-0)
 This was the bird that pooped on the guy sitting next to me, hahaha!


 Outside the stadium!


 I ate the best hotdog I've ever had!

 And we got some garlic fries, which are amazing! My dad also got me some peanuts and a giants sweat shirt.
On Friday we took a tour of San Francisco which was really fun!


 This is the Oakland temple. It's beautiful!


 We ate at my dad's favorite restaurant in San Francisco. I remember eating here a couple of years ago, but it was fun to go back! ...And yes, he is wearing a bib. ;)


 Just enjoying his peanuts while we wait for our plane... haha!


Well, that wraps up my wonderful trip to California with my dad!




Backpacking trip,

Forrest and I set out for a backpacking trip on Wednesday night (the 27th). We got dropped off at the gate up mill creek canyon where the sky look not so friendly and there were piles of hail on the side of the road..



After hiking through the rain for 3 hours we set up camp and the rain stopped until 6am, our tent didn't have a rain fly and we were lucky to have a little bridge to keep the essential things dry under.





Unfortunately the size of the bridge meant that we were not among those essential things so we stood in the cool rain for an hour or so.




The forecast had said to expect rain thursday, so we were expecting to be wet all day but the
sun came out around 10! It felt so good to see the sky, we packed things up and eventually made it to Desolation lake by early afternoon and just decided to hand out, I Probably skipped 300 rocks..




That night It was below freezing, there was frost and the lake re-froze. Luckily hanging a tarp above our hammock bunk beds kept the frost off us!







The cold was a big blessing because most of the morning we were hiking the snow pack along
the mountain ridge, and if it would have been warmer we would have been swimming.






The amount of snow still around was eventually the downfall of the trip, later that day the snow did start to melt and after climbing an especially steep and slushy peak, we toyed with the idea of leaving early. I knew that Rebekah would be coming home late that night and if we left then I could pick her up from the Airport! I was convinced and with a little coaxing Forrest was too.We hiked to the closest road and then hitch hiked to the bottom of Big Cottonwood canyon with a man that was recently picking mushrooms.



I have no regrets cutting the trip short and was so happy to see Rebekah later that night. Being in a new environment for a couple days, only worrying about basic needs of life really helped me put in perspective how blessed I am to be married to Rebekah and the reasons why I am on this earth!




Last note:

And thus we see boys and girls that you shouldn't leave your wife for three days to go on a camping trip because it'll hail and rain on you while she's living the week in paradise. ;) -Rebekah



2 comments: